"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Monday, October 3, 2011

Washingtown, aka the funny named laundromat I will frequent.

So before my dad came out to visit I gave Kris a little break.  In return for him doing laundry once a week, I would do all the other household chores (even the kitty box, which is gross).  But what did he do with this wonderful freedom?  Did he take it upon himself to clean our clothes, sheets and delicates once every 7 days? No, not so much, in fact. . . not at all.  So when I looked at the laundry bin 2 days before the parental visit and realized there was a friggin ton of laundry I knew there was only one option.

That option was Washingtown.  I carted a full laundry hamper, 2 plastic laundry bins and a backpack full of dirty clothes to a public place filled with machines.  At first I may have tried to put detergent in a dryer, but instead of being scolded and turned away I was just laughed at a little by an older woman who helped me out.  She explained that "no, one can not just use dryers because they are big and machiney," those weren't her exact words, mostly because she didn't say "machiney."  First you must use the AMAZING 55 POUND WASHING MACHINES!!! These things are literally magical.  you dump in 5 loads of laundry and presto-changeo, 30 minutes later some clothing all ready for the dryer.

Now to the important part.  I knew there was a reason that I was immediately drawn to the giant dryer.  Perhaps it is because they are large enough to fit a full size human in for a comfortable nights sleep, perhaps because they look a little like a time machine, maybe it's just because I like to pretend I am only a little kid and technology is too big for me to use, who knows?  But once that machine turned on it was like a fantastical journey into the swirling and twirling of colorful shirts and panties!  I wish I could have brought along someone on acid, or maybe a cat, because I feel like this machine would pretty much make their lives complete.

Which leads me to the end of my story, the laundromat and I are now acquaintances and hopefully I will return within the week to have another adventure with the wonderful dryer.  But in the meantime, Kris has lost what could have been a good deal.  And, although now he probably still won't do any of the house chores, I can assure you he sure as hell will be cleaning the litter box!


No comments:

Post a Comment