"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Thursday, October 13, 2011

I swear, I have no cash sir.

Walking home from my bar job at Nick's Lounge on Sunday, Kris and I were approached by a rather inebriated gentleman who first wanted cigarettes, then wanted a meal, and then just wanted to get drunk. He asked if we had any cash and when we responded honestly that we were actually short on funds too he looked at us like we had been caught out in some huge lie.

This made me think, can we actually gauge how much money a person has (a) in the bank, (b) in their wallet, (c) stuffed in their socks, by how they appear to the world.  I think not!  If you looked at me and tried to determine my ability to pay rent, there would be no questions; I dress well, have a new iPhone, have a pet, enjoy eating meals out, and have a whole lot of awesome ikea furniture.  But its impossible to say what was bought for me or by me.

So maybe people are just really good and pretending to have money and we are all poor?  I doubt it, but that does make me feel a little better about looking for a 4th job.  And in the meantime, I will keep going out to eat at delicious restaurants (on my boyfriends dime.)

2 comments:

  1. Hope that new phone works out for you. Glad you're getting to know the neighborhood locals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to our Bay Area fanatic!

    ReplyDelete