"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Monday, August 1, 2011

What goes up must come down

It would seem this is even more true than usual today, because as wonderful my weekend was, my day today is equally crappy.  The housewarming party was a great success; Panda and her boyfriend came up from SD, Katie came from SB, Aymee flew in from Colorado, Berbert got a ride from Tahoe, and Ethan and Kyle motorcycled their way up to coast for a giant party.  We also had some friends who actually live in the area show up to (special thanks to Alyssa for providing me with my very favorite Jam to use on baked brie).  We made lots of tasty finger foods ranging from mini caprese to chicken enchilada buns and had a BBQ with Kris' tri-tip to top off our feast.

Three days of partying and running around the city later, the apartment is still moderately clean and the only real damage is a broken couch.  It is still usable, it just looks like it is slowly sinking into a puddle of quicksand on one side, adding to the classy ambiance I was going for in the living room.

So this morning I turned up to the home office and was delighted when the guy from Raison d'Etre came in and having remembered our conversation from a week ago he brought me my very own whoopie pies! 9 of them in fact, all for me.  He gave me chocolate with vanilla filling and vanilla with strawberry filling!  Being the nice receptionist I am, I put half out on the break room table for others to eat while secretly hoarding the others in the freezer for my own personal later consumption.  But from there it was downhill.

And while I should have known from the slightly craptastic treatment I received last week from Peet's (they waited until the very last minute to tell me I actually had a job and even then all that was said was "we will at least need you for Monday") It still hurts to get fired from a job I never could have had anyway.  But even though I feel sad and bitter and mostly just want to go home and not pretend to be super-happy-receptionist-girl until Wednesday, there is the promise of a small going away party with cake to look forward to! So my work here was not in vain, I made a few friends and quite a few more people will at least be sad to have to get used to a new person at the front desk.  Which, as a temp, is really all I can ask for.  And who knows, the next job might be at a bakery and will be even better than free coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment