"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Friday, May 27, 2011

An Accidental Date, and My Muni Misfortune

Riding on the L a few days back I had a nice conversation with this guy, Bobby.  We ended up switching numbers and then 20 minutes later I realized I probably should have mentioned that I have a boyfriend... who I live with... oh well.  Figuring he wouldn't ever actually call I blew off the situation.  He called yesterday.  So after explaining the situation we decided to get together for a "oh well, it's nice to have friends in SF drink" at the Shannon Arms up the street from Alyssa.

Today at 4:20 I walked up two whole blocks to the aforementioned establishment and ordered myself a pint of Blue Moon.  The bartender was the sweetest Irish lady who actually talked to me and seemed to not care that I was drinking alone at a half hour to 5.  Bobby showed up and miracle of miracles, we actually had a very nice time!  I had to go around 6 as my plans for the evening involved making an elaborate thank you dinner for Alyssa consisting of chicken saltimbocca, cheese ravioli, and green beans.  I didn't realize until far too late that I have no idea how to cook green beans.

Post dinner for two, we got on the L (my very favorite public transit) and headed to John's for a night of TV and cookies.  However, Muni had other plans for us.  At West Portal (a few stops from ours on 22nd) we learned that there was a problem with the tunnel and we would have to get out and take a shuttle.  The shuttle was standing room only, and took an hour to go the distance that is usually covered in 15 minutes.  I tried reading my book, but it proved more difficult than expected while aboard a moving vehicle with only one hand.  We got dropped at Castro (one stop short of Church, where John lives) but rather than risk more underground issues we walked the long 6 blocks and finally had our planned evening.

Good day overall. I made a friend, ate cookies, enjoyed the beautiful weather, and get to sleep on the best couch ever.  That last part wasn't sarcasm, it really is a comfy couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment