"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

These Boots Were Made For Walking. . . Do they have to be so ugly though??

I have been on a quest recently to find some good walking shoes for my upcoming trip to France.  Oh right, did I not mention that? I am going to France, for like, you know, a week and a half.  No big deal though.  Whatevs.

I AM SO EXCITED! WOOOOOOOO!

Right, got that out of my system.  But like I said, this mission to find walking shoes, it's not going too well.  I walked around with Sarah in my running shoes and by the end of the day the bridge of my foot was bruised and unhappy,  I tried the next day in Chucks and it was just a different part of my aching foot that complained.

But all I have come to notice is that walking shoes are ugly.  Why can't someone create a comfortable shoe for exploring the North of France (sorry, had to throw that in there) that doesn't look like an orthotic cry for help from the Greenpeace campaigners?

My travel clothing will be awesome, my shoes, not so much.

4 comments:

  1. This is your old fogey dad speaking. We've been down this road/path to nowhere before. Get thee to a good shoe store, say REI, or Clarks, or other places known for high quality walking shoes. Try on a bunch of them. Find the one least offensive and your happy feet will make you forget about fashion, at least for a little bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should try putting Dr. Scholl's in the shoes. Depending on the shoe, you might have to buy it a half size bigger to make it comfortable and not tight, but it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, see this blog post: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2012/01/five-best-shoes-for-traveling.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I will give in to REI eventually, I just have to exhaust all my other options first. THEN I will buy comfortable walking shoes that hopefully won't give me blisters like the last pair!

    2) On that blog Kim posted, the first pair of shoes are JCrew flats, they are not that comfortable that I would want to wear them for too much exploring!

    ReplyDelete