"Then let's look on the bright side: we're having an adventure. . . and most people live and die without being as lucky as we are"
-- The Princess Bride

Friday, September 9, 2011

C.L.I.T. (Cat lady in training)

My future is set. I may not have a job right now, but I can tell you with the utmost certainty that if Kristopher ever leaves me and I am a sad bag lady I will definitely become the owner of at least 10 cats.  We can live in my fortress of solitude, aka the run down crack house I squat in, and eat tuna out of the can together.

This past weekend was a bumpy and confusing emotional rollercoaster.  Friday, we went to Sacramento for Kris' grandmothers funeral.  Having never really been to a funeral I found myself in the grip of group emotions.  I am sure there is some psychoanalytical term for this, but I had never met this woman and yet felt so sad and overcome with grief during the ceremony that it was a bit difficult to be there.  After the speeches and remembrance ended we did what UCSB graduates do best though, partied and ate a lot of delicious catered food.  Meeting Kris' family was great and we got to play with some adorable small children.

This led us to Petsmart on Saturday, you know, because children are semi-reminiscent of kittens in there love of chasing bottle caps and human ankles.  While at the store we found the sweetest little kitten ever (this has changed).  She purred when picked up and fell asleep in our arms, she made one pathetic little "mew?" on the 3 hour drive home to Berkeley, she hid under the couch for a majority of the first day home.  We named her Professor McGonagall, because we are Harry Potter nerds.


AND THEN!!!!! a change overcame her.  Our kitten is a freak.  She likes to walk on our faces at 5am, lick noses and headbutt your cheek when you are not attentive enough, and meow plaintively at the bathtub as if to say "hey, giant white inanimate object, why the shit aren't you playing with me?"

But I love her anyway, and the insanity of owning a kitten seems to fit my personality pretty well.  So take a look at my future.




No comments:

Post a Comment